IFA's Newest Education Course by Michael Seid
“Understanding the Dynamics and Requirements of Commercial Franchising,” created by Michael Seid, Managing Director, MSA Worldwide, is now available through the IFA Academy and was developed as part of the IFA Approved Learning Partner program. Based on the graduate school course Michael teaches at The Ohio State University Fisher College of Business, this first-of-its-kind offering is an essential self-paced course for franchising professionals. Successful completion of this course will provide CFE Candidates with 21 CFE Education Credits toward certification or fulfill the 20 CFE Renewal Education requirement for Certified Franchise Executives.
To access this course, sign in to your IFA Academy account and type “MSA” or "Commercial Franchising" in the course catalog. Both IFA members and non-members are welcome to create Academy accounts (see Academy User Guide here).
Comprised of 20 content-rich modules presented by leading franchising industry experts, this course provides franchise professionals with an overview of commercial franchising and is a deep dive into the design, development, and management of franchise systems.
With the variety of leading SMEs in franchising, this course was designed to include the essential points of business and legal knowledge required by franchisors and franchisees. Included in each class is a detailed PowerPoint students can use for future reference, and learners will also receive a copy of Making the Franchise Decision, a due diligence workbook for prospective franchisees by Michael Seid.
“At The Ohio State University, using both synchronous and asynchronous teaching methods allows the grad students taking my classes to learn at their own pace and also to achieve a deep understanding of the subject. Each of the subject matter professors are well-known experts in their field and I am grateful for their time and contribution to this project.” – Michael Seid
For IFA members, this course package is offered at a discounted rate of $2,750 through the IFA Academy. Each class is also available and priced separately. Registering for the entire course will save you $825 over the combined price of the individual classes. For non-members, the course package is available with a registration fee of $4,000.
- CFE Graduation Deadline: December 31, 2023 All CFE program requirements must be completed by CFE candidates no later than December 31, 2023 to graduate as a member of the CFE graduating class at the 2024 IFA Annual Convention in February 2024.
- CFE Renewal Deadline: February 1, 2024 Certified Franchise Executives must complete their CFE renewal requirements no later than February 1, 2024 if your CFE renewal term is 2/1/2021 - 2/1/2024.
Available as a full course package or as individual modules
- Franchising: The History and Basics – Michael Seid, Managing Director, MSA Worldwide
- Ownership Structures Use in Franchising – Michael Seid, Managing Director, MSA Worldwide
- Operations Manuals – Marla Rosner, Senior Learning & Development Consultant, MSA Worldwide
- Training – Marla Rosner, Senior Learning & Development Consultant, MSA Worldwide
- The Legal Aspects of Franchising Your Business – Marisa Faunce, Partner, Plave Koch
- Franchisor Support and Staffing Requirements – Andrew Seid, Senior Consultant, MSA Worldwide
- Domestic Franchisor Development and Expansion – Andrew Seid, Senior Consultant, MSA Worldwide
- International Franchising – Kay Ainsley, Managing Director, MSA Worldwide
- Mergers and Acquisitions – Rachel Packer, Partner, Blank Rome
- Franchisor Liability Exposure – David Kaufmann, Senior Partner, Kaufmann, Gildin & Robbins
- Data, Technology and Franchising – Lee Plave , Partner, Plave Koch
- Key Issues for Distribution Arrangements – Joyce Mazero, Partner, Polsinelli
- Site Development and Territory – Michael Seid, Managing Director, MSA Worldwide
- Franchise Litigation – Jonathan Solish, Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner
- The Business and Legal Considerations in Buying and Running a Franchise – Ronald Gardner, Partner, Dady & Gardner
- Threshold Analysis – Andrew Seid, Senior Consultant, MSA Worldwide
- Developing the Franchise System – Michael Seid, Managing Director, MSA Worldwide
- Aspects of International Law – Lee Plave, Partner, Plave Koch
- Franchising in Canada – Larry Weinberg, Partner, Cassels
- Introduction to Franchise Finance – Mike Rozman, CEO, BoeFly